Our House Cleaning Tips
When you’ve got a cleaning conundrum, whom better to turn to than The Maids of DC? After all, we are a professional home cleaning service, scrubbing from floor to ceiling and everything inbetween. The Maids know the secret to cleaning windows without leaving streaks. We know what to do if someone you live with suffers from indoor allergies and you want to minimize their symptoms with a clean house. Cleaning can help prevent the spread of influenza in your home. If your carpets are dingy, your oven dirty, or your refrigerator smells of something other than fresh food, consult The Maids for a few reliable cleaning tips.
Essential Cleaning Products for Every Household
- Baking soda
- Fresh lemons
- Good, old-fashioned white vinegar
Ways to Use Those Cleaning Products
- Toilet bowl stains wipe off with ease after you’ve squeezed a fresh lemon in there and let it set for a few minutes.
- Mix lemon juice and olive oil, three to one, to make your own furniture polish.
- Swirl lemon juice, salt, and ice cubes around a stained coffee pot to clean.
- Dip the cut side of a lemon in baking soda then use it to wipe down chrome fixtures and glass shower enclosures.
- A paste of lemon juice and salt works well to clean stainless steel.
- Use multi-purpose baking soda for scouring or to remove scuff-marks from vinyl floors.
- Set out a bowl of vinegar to absorb smells from a room.
- Disinfect wooden cutting boards by wiping them down with vinegar.
- Remove hard water build-up by soaking the item in vinegar.
- Add hot water to a container holding a square of aluminum foil plus equal parts of salt and baking soda for a great silver bath.
Cleaning Tips to Minimize Allergies
- Routinely clean with diluted bleach wherever molds and mildews tend to grow, ie wet or damp places.
- Use allergy-proof covers to keep dust – and dust mites – away from pillows and box springs.
- Get your air conditioning units cleaned often and change filters monthly.
- Wash bedding in hot water at least once a week to kill dust mites.
- Dust with clean clothes and replace them frequently while using to prevent spreading dust between surfaces.
- Throw away feather dusters which only move dust around.
- Vacuum everything at least once a week, preferably with a HEPA-filter vacuum. Remember to clean spots like ceiling fans, box springs, curtains, and furniture cushions (over and under).
Last-minute Tidying for House Guests
- Throw clutter into a laundry basket and pop it in a closet.
- Close doors to bedrooms and rooms not intended for guests.
- Make sure the guest bathroom is stocked with extra toilet paper, clean towels, and hand soap. Give it a quick wipe down.
- Spray and wipe down countertops and appliances.
- Throw dirty dishes in the dishwasher.
- Run the vacuum in places guests will walk.
- Chill a few drinks quickly by placing them in a bucket of ice, then sprinkling salt over the ice.
Other Cleaning Tips We Love!
- Streak-free Windows: Mix Dawn dish liquid and warm water in a bucket. Dip a clean cloth in the solution, wring out, and wipe down the glass. Take a second clean, dry towel and dry off the glass. Voila...a clean window and never a streak!
- Clean Fabric Lampshades: Use a lint roller.
- Keep Towels Absorbent: Did you know dryer sheets put a protective layer on your towels, making them less absorbent? Instead throw two new tennis balls in your dryer to eliminate static electricity.
- Unclog Your Kitchen Sink: Pour ½ cup baking soda into a clogged drain and follow it with ½ cup white vinegar. Cover during chemical reaction then rinse with warm running water.
Bring in the Professionals
For a cleaner, healthier home, your living space needs thorough housecleaning on a regular basis. If you don’t have the time, know-how, or passion to keep up with all the steps required to maintain a clean home -- note that clean and tidy are two different things -- then it’s time to call The Maids of DC.
If, just once a week, you’d like your entire house clean all at the same time, The Maids of DC is at your service! Call today for a free estimate.